Our History

St. Paul's United Church of Christ had its beginnings in 1840, when a movement was started by a number of local residents to build a conveniently located Union Church for both Reformed Church members and Lutherans. Two acres of land, on a site between Fleetwood and Walnuttown, were purchased from Benjamin Hoch, and in 1841 and the church's cornerstone was laid.

In 1921, the church became difficult to heat, so both congregations met at St. Paul's Chapel at the site of the old Post Office on North Franklin Street in Fleetwood.

In 1952, when extensive building repairs were needed, both churches decided to discontinue using that church and to build separate churches.

In 1957, the Lutherans moved to Arch and Laurel Streets. The Evangelical and Reformed Church merged with the Congregational Christian Churches to form the United Church of Christ. The name of our church changed to reflect that union and became St. Paul's United Church of Christ.

The current church structure was completed in 1958. The church grew steadily. In 1976, more Sunday school rooms and office space were added. The choir room, youth room, narthex and nursery were constructed in 1987.

Today, St. Paul's United Church of Christ is a second home to 1200 members who gather to praise and worship God.

A more detailed history of the UCC and its roots can be obtained through the pastor and the church office.

© 2011-2017 St. Paul's United Church of Christ • 5 West Arch Street, Fleetwood, Pennsylvania 19522 • (610) 944-0406 • Email: churchoffice@stpaulsfleetwood.org